Monday, March 30, 2015

Please, Let There Be Sun

Dear Em,
It's funny. As I look back at my posts, I realize that the month of March is about the time I typically hit a wall. I try to enjoy winter. I really do. I enjoy the beauty of the fallen snow. I take you outside to play in the winter wonderland. We snuggle up inside with blankets.

By March, I'm over it. The time of enjoying winter has passed, & I just need some freaking sunshine. This year has been worse than most. We're supposed to be well into Spring already, but it snowed again this weekend. It didn't snow a lot, but it was enough to make me want to scream at the sight of more snow covering the ground. I glared at the snow on Sunday morning. The white quietness of our backyard should have dazzled me. Instead, I felt like the snow was mocking me, refusing to make way for my favored warmer seasons. I couldn't help but feel frustrated & defeated.


But then the sun came out. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a warm, sunny day. It was cold outside, like hats & coats & gloves cold outside. Except this brilliant beam of sunshine shone through our front door. I sat there, in our entryway, face upturned to the sunshine. You looked at me quizzically, thinking the floor of our entryway a strange place for me to sit. You joined me anyway, bringing with you the Ramona book we've been reading together. We sat there on the floor of the entryway reading & letting the sun warm & energize our bodies.


The ground may have still been covered in snow, but in that moment I had everything I needed. There will be life after winter. We can do this.

I love you so,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...