Monday, April 2, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like...Easter

Dear Em,
I'm a Navy Brat. So, for most of my life, I moved at least every four years. We lived in the same house in Connecticut for 7 years, but that has been my longest stay in one place. When your Daddy & I began to look to buy our first home, a starter house was not what I wanted to look at. Yes, we were young & had just gotten married, but I wanted a home where we could put roots. I wanted a home we could grow into instead of out of. I wanted to stay in one place for more than a few years.

This April, we will have lived in our home for three amazing years. Recently, I've gotten this weird feeling. It's kind of like an itch. I need some change. Do, I want to pack up our things & relocate? No, I love our home & our location. I'm just getting a little bored. The kind of bored where you want to repaint your whole house & redecorate in a new color scheme. Unfortunately, if I did that every three years or so your Daddy would no longer want to live with us me (& we'd be very broke). I will have to settle for smaller touches & little projects here & there.


One thing I like to do to freshen things up is decorate for the seasons. Just little things here & there, a swapped table runner on the dining room table, a new wreath on the front door, a new centerpiece for the table, or some back door decorations.

Christmastime becomes a little more extravagant than the rest of the seasons. I mean, how could it not be? We have a tree standing inside our house. I typically add snowflakes to our back doors. We had french doors when I was growing up in Connecticut, & we would make snowflakes & hang them up together. It always seemed to snow right after. I forgot to put them up this year. Maybe that's why we had such a mild winter (your Daddy laughed at me when I mentioned that. "Yes, your lack of door decorations made it not snow this year," he smirked).

You can see paper snowflakes behind our New Years celebration.
A few years ago, I bought a book of pretty scrapbooking paper. I don't scrap book (I did once my senior year of highschool). Instead, I use the paper for lots of fun projects. I have a set of letter stencils that I use to make colorful letters with the paper. In February, I made hearts & the words "BE MINE" for our back door.


Last March, I made Daddy a Happy Birthday banner & this March our back door was very Irish.




Once I remembered that Easter was almost here, you & I worked together to bring a little Spring color to our home. We found some gel clings at the grocery store & I cut out letters for a Spring message. I put up the letters, & you loved helping to put up the gel clings (we have to put them up high because our cat, Charlie, likes to eat them). When your Daddy got home, you proudly told him you "decorated the duckies & flowers."


There's so many fun DIY ideas out there, & was wicked excited to try out this easy one using paint chips to make Easter Eggs. I headed over to Lowes to pick up paint chips in a range of pastels (thanks Lowes), & cut out 30 or so eggs. When I was done, you helped me put them up around the house.



I put out the Easter runner I bought a few years ago from Pottery Barn, added some colorful silk flowers to the table, & hung up our spring wreath for the front door. Since, we already had everything except for the gel clings (under $2) & the paint chips (free), we spent very little on our spring decorating project.


Voila! We're ready for Easter. Not too bad considering our late start & busy week. You enjoyed decorating, the house feels a little fresher to me, & Daddy doesn't want to run for the hills. That's what I like to call a win-win-win.

I love you so,
Mommy



No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...