Friday, October 19, 2012

love letters


Dear Em,
"There were thousands of colors 
and hundreds of shapes.
Oh, what a garden variety makes...

and maybe one day we all will discover-
you can't judge a book,
or a pumpkin...
by it's cover."

Last year we bought you the book The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin. I had no idea that Spookley was a spokes-pumpkin for the national bullying campaign. I thought it was a nice Halloween book that celebrated all colors & shapes & sizes. We want you to know that it's not just OK to be different, it's special to be different. And frankly, your daddy & I wouldn't mind you celebrating colors other than the color pink.

I didn't realize how much you would take the book to heart when we went to the pumpkin patch this past weekend. "Mommy, I can't wait to find Spookley at the pumpkin patch," you exclaimed as we drove to Buttonwoods farm. You looked defeated when you realized there were no square pumpkins to be found. Even more crushing for you, there were no pink pumpkins.

"Why are all these pumpkins orange? I really want a pink Spookley pumpkin," you told me as you searched the pumpkins.

"Well, pumpkins are normally orange, Em." I informed you.

The little pout on your face broke my heart, & I had an idea. "You know what, Em, we can paint our own Spookley pumpkins. You can paint yours pink," I offered (of course I hoped the Spookley book would teach you to celebrate all colors, but pink is still the only color you care about). You were excited by the idea.

Early this week we picked up three small pumpkins & one "baby pumpkin" from a local farm. We sat down just the three of us & each painted our own pumpkins. I painted mine in rainbow colors to celebrate all colors. Daddy painted a pumpkin to look just like you- which thrilled you from head to toe.  You painted your pumpkin....wait for it...pink. Actually, you started with pink, added some purple, & then mixed in a ton of other colors. Surprisingly, your pumpkin is still a pink-ish color, & we were proud of you for at least adding in colors other than just your favorite.

You & Daddy are very serious artists.
Our masterpieces.
It was a fun thing to do together as a family, & you were so excited that we made our own colorful pumpkins.

While you were sleeping, I painted eyes on yours & my pumpkins. You were thrilled when you woke up. "Ooooooh, our own Spookley pumpkins," you said with a smile on your face as you jumped up & down in happiness & excitement.


I just found out that there is also a Spookley movie, & I'm thinking we might need to invest in it this Halloween.

I don't know if you have really learned that being different is also about being special, but I think it's a start. Plus, your excitement about our Spookley pumpkins has sure put a smile in my heart.

I love you so,
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...