Wednesday, November 20, 2013

what to do when you have a headache

Dear Em,
This past weekend we had a nice, lazy Sunday. With the craziness of the holidays, I knew it was going to be our last lazy Sunday for a while, & I truly relished every moment. You went back & forth from watching cartoons in the family room, playing, & watching football with us in the living room. During one of our moments together, I mentioned I had a headache. Lucky for me, my headache was about to be cured with some cuteness (& maybe some Excedrin).

You looked at me with solemness & empathy. "Oh no, Mommy, do you need a check up?" I smiled, knowing that I would be poked & prodded for the next hour or so & you would love every second of my check-up torture. I agreed to my check-up, & you ran upstairs to find your doctor kit.

We could hear your despair from downstairs. "Oh No!" We asked you what was the matter, & you came running downstairs with concern in your eyes. "It's gone! My doctor kit isn't anywhere!" You were almost certain it was gone forever & would never return.

I knew better. There are many things you get from Daddy & not being able to see the things that are right in front of your face is one of them. It's not your eye sight. You both have perfect vision, but I have come to accept the fact that it's up to me to find things or most of our house will go lost.

"Em, I don't want to go all the way upstairs just to find your kit in five seconds. Go back upstairs, open your eyes, & really look. Did you look underneath your dress-up rack, because that's where it goes." You hopped back upstairs, but came back down with the same sad expression. "It's just gone, Mom."

Suddenly, a look of hope spread across your face. "I know. Maybe me & Dad can make a new doctor's kit!" You clapped your hands & smiled, clearly thinking you had just come up with the best idea. Leave it to you to think that if we've lost something, we can just make a new one. I don't know if your excitement was more about having a newly made kit or working on a project with Daddy. Daddy laughed, "you want me to make a doctor's kit? I don't really know how to do that. Plus, why don't we just find the one you already own?"

Everyone looked at me. Sigh. Upstairs I went, & wouldn't you know, I found the doctor's kit in less than 5 seconds...under your dress-up rack, right where it was supposed to be. In your defense, there was a boot sitting in front of it- not anything to cover it or hide it from vision. Yup, I'm going to be finding the things that you & Daddy can't find for the rest of my life.

With your doctor's kit in hand, you went to work poking & prodding me for what seemed like forever. Your check-ups are very thorough. Are there doctors out there who enjoy giving shots, because I know you do. I was diagnosed with a fish in my brain, a sheep in my mouth, & pigs in my eyes. No wonder I had a headache.

I think I'll keep you as my doctor, even if I'll have to be the one to find your doctor's kit.

I love you so,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...