Friday, September 11, 2015

love letters


Dear Em,
"We're Rhode Island born & we're Rhode Island bred & when we die we'll be Rhode Island dead. So, go go Rhode Island Island. Go go Rhode Island Island. Go Rhode Island! URI!"

It never ceases to amaze me that people travel from all over the country to visit & fall in love with Rhode Island...but we get to live here! Rhode Island has it's faults, but to me it is one of the most magical, beautiful, & amazing places to be. I lived all over the country growing up, but it was in Rhode Island that I finally found my home. I can't tell you how fortunate I feel to be able to explore here, share precious moments with family & friends here, & watch you grow here...each & every day.

We packed a lot of Rhode Island fun into our summer, but one of my favorite things to do was visit the Narragansett Gazebo on Friday nights. Each week different bands & groups performed for free. We brought a giant beach towel & chairs (& sometimes beer & wine) & plopped ourselves down amongst a community of people, young & old.


You made new friends among the tons of littles running around & dancing on stage. I listened to the music, took in the smell of the sea air, & delighted in watching the gorgeous colors of the sunset. Sometimes you & I danced together. Sometimes, I enjoyed just sitting back & taking in my rosy cheeked little girl, so full of joy my heart felt like it could burst. Sometimes, you liked to be a photographer. You captured everything, & I loved the way a huge smile spread across your face when you took a picture of something you love.


Sometimes we also walked along the wall. We tried to make little rock towers as tall as we can. It was like piecing natural puzzles together, & each time the result would be a little different.



As the moon began to rise over the ocean, we almost always ended the night at Nanas for some gelato. Then we browsed through the quaint, little shops (Simply Natural is your favorite). You waved to the shop owners who have become more like friends.


We typically walked back to the car holding hands, & I couldn't help but think of how very much I love the place we live. I love the quirkiness of this state, the fun activities available all summer long, the gorgeous views, & the special community of people. I love that we're constantly discovering new favorite places, even though we live in the smallest state in the country. I love that you think summer is a holiday, & it's your favorite one. Most of all, I love sharing this wicked amazing, Ocean State with you & Daddy everyday.

I love you so,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...