Tuesday, October 25, 2011

hoot-iful halloween treats

Dear Em,
Since I don't have to worry about making you a costume (thanks to your nonnie), I had fun making these with you instead.

When One Charming Party posted a blog about these, I squealed with delight. You love owls! One of your favorite books is Little Hoot, & after your baths we wrap you up in a little owl towel. I couldn't wait to do this project with you.

What we needed:
- Chocolate cake mix (some mommies might make it from scratch, but this was quicker)
- cupcake tins
- brown cupcake wrappers
- coconut pecan frosting
- Oreo cookies (double stuffed)
- Reese's Pieces

We used german chocolate frosting instead of regular chocolate frosting, which I think is both yummier & gave them a more textured look. We first got reduced fat Oreos, but I think reduced fat just means reduced frosting. It was super hard to pull the Oreos apart. Daddy rescued us by running to the store & picking up double stuffed Oreos.

These were so easy & so fun to make with you.

My sous chef is ready

I turned my head for 2 seconds & my
sous chef was covered in batter
It would have been so fun to make these for your classmates, but sadly your classroom is peanut free (I wonder if there is a good Reese's Pieces substitute & if Oreos are made in a facility that is peanut free). Luckily, our friends & family can enjoy our cute, little masterpieces. The best part was watching you eat them.


I think our owls are super cute & so are you.

I love you so,
Mommy

* Readers, are there any yummy & fun halloween treats you will be making this year? *

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...