Friday, September 6, 2013

love letters

Dear Em,
"I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart
I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart
I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart
I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart..."
- Break Your Heart by Taio Cruz

You are a huge music fan, & by fan I mean almost every song you hear on the radio is your "favorite song" (at least on 93.3)...except this song. After just one time hearing it on the radio, you went on a rampage.

"Mommy, did you hear that?! He said he's going to break your heart. That's not nice! He shouldn't do that. I think we should talk to him & tell him not to do that. OK, Mommy?"

I listened to what you felt was a very serious problem, as thoughts of you walking up to Taio Cruz and telling him he wasn't being nice made me giggle. I love your simple but honest & direct take on things. Maybe if we just ask people nicely not to break our hearts, they'll listen & do things differently. If only life were that beautiful as you see it through your 3.5 year old eyes.

I do hope that as time goes on, you'll be able to communicate as honestly & directly. Should you give your heart to someone who does not hold it in the high regard it deserves, I hope you'll still be willing to speak up or move on. Knowing that you will likely experience heart break, fills me with more dread than you can ever know. I wish life could always be as simple, honest, & direct for you as it is now. But should a heart breaking moment come your way, I wish you strength & resilience. I hope that you'll be able to find beauty & love again.

And know that I will always be there to love & support you.

I love you so,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...