Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Time & Four Year Olds

Dear Em,
We have talked to you about time for years. We've reminded you that you have five more minutes of TV time. We've told you that it's going to be bedtime in fifteen minutes. I have asked you to give me five minutes of privacy. We've told you all that, fully knowing that you had no idea what we were talking about.

You're just now starting contemplate time- trying to piece together how long it will take until you get to do what you really want to do. As your curiosity of time grows, so does our explanations of how it works.


Em: Mom, how many more minutes until we are there?
Me: About five minutes.
Em: OK. One...two...three...four...five. That's five minutes! Are we there now?
Me: No, sweety, that's five seconds. A minute is sixty seconds. So, you have to count to sixty.
Em: OK. One, two, three...sixteen. Ok, are we there?
Me: No, sweety, you counted to sixteen. You need to count to SIX-TY.
Em: But I can't count that high.
Me: Sure you can. I'll help you.
<You begin counting & need help knowing that after 29 comes 30 & after 39 comes 40, after 49 comes 50 & after 59 comes...>
Em: SIXTY! Ok, are we're there now?!
Me: Nope, sixty seconds is one minute. It takes five minutes to get there. You'll have to count to sixty five times.
Em: <Gives me a look like I'm crazy..> No! I'm NOT doing that.
Me: OK, maybe you can just play for a little while & I'll tell you when we're there.
Em: Sigh.


Perhaps a better understanding of time will bring a better understanding of patience? I know, probably not.

I love you so,
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...