Thursday, July 3, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Michaela & Em

Dear Em,
There is more of an age difference between myself & my cousin Michaela than you & my cousin Michaela. I was in high school when Michaela was born. I remember her being a very adorable & demanding toddler. Everything was hers...including my mom.


When I went to college & became busy growing up, I didn't get to experience much of Michaela growing up. She was in our wedding, just as my sisters & I were in her mom's wedding.


It wasn't until Nonnie began spending her summers with us that we got to spend more time with Michaela. You were just a baby, every bit as adorable & demanding as Michaela had been. Your dirty diapers & screams & cries were a foreign thing to Michaela, who is an only child. We tried to give her the full sibling experience, teasing her as siblings do (there were a lot of water fights). Although Michaela didn't have a lot of experience with children, she did her best to help my mom care for you, & you loved her.


You still do.


Michaela came to visit last week, & you were thrilled to see your playmate returned. It's been a couple years since the two of you had been together. I think Michaela was surprised by how tall you've grown & how active & verbal you've become. You were surprised by Michaela too. "Michaela, you grew up. You can read now! I'm so proud of you!" Michaela told you that she could read the last time she visited, had learned well before you were born, & had read books to you previously (I mean, just look at the above photos). You insisted that she had just learned, & beamed with pride.

It's amazing to see the two of you together. It's crazy how much you've both grown up in the past 4.5 years. I giggled, watching you try to get away with as much as you could with Michaela, who hasn't had the four and a half years of practice putting her foot down like your mother has. You two played barbies together. You went for walks together. You insisted that she read you books & put you to bed each night. It was incredibly precious.

Michaela has grown into such a beautiful & fun & caring & funny & bright & strong woman. She's graduating next year, & I can't wait to see where her future will take her. I expect amazing things from such an incredible woman. I hope when she's not busy too busy in college growing up, she'll continue to visit with us. Watching Michaela love you makes me less worried about you being an only child yourself. You may not have siblings, but you do have Michaela, & that makes my heart happy.

I love you so,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...