Friday, October 9, 2015

love letters

Dear Em,
"Let her sleep
For when she wakes,
She will move mountains."
- Napoleon

On the way to New Hampshire, we had told you that we would climb to the top of a mountain. You looked at us, unsure and nervous, questioning your abilities. "Are you sure about this?"


Of course we didn't actually climb all of Cannon Mountain. We took a tram ride up 99.5% of it. "Mommy, I'm so glad we're not climbing this." You sighed with relief as we traveled through the air. We looked at all the other beautiful mountain tops in awe.


Once we got off the tram, we ate a quick lunch. We sat outside, just the three of us in the chilly mountain air. The views around us were incredible, & we had hot cocoa to warm our hands.


Then we made the 15 minute hike up an additional twenty feet to the very top of the mountain. Even though we were most of the way up, you were still unsure of yourself. You were also cold (I keep forgetting how much cooler it can be at the top of a mountain & to plan accordingly with winter clothes). I held your hands to keep them warm.


When we got to the first look-out spot, you squealed in delight. You became our photographer. Suddenly, the cold didn't have as much bite. How could it when we were standing in the midst of these mountain views?


We continued to hold hands until we got to the top of the observation tower. That way we made it to our destination at the exact same time. "We both won, Mom!" You only danced around for a only few moments, & we only took a few pictures. The wind was even stronger at the very top. 


We hurried back down to the warmth of the lodge & the ease of the tram ride down. 


I watched you as you watched the trees & the mountains. I smiled at my incredible & strong, little but fierce daughter. Sure, we had taken the tram almost the entire way up, but my little girl had just climbed a mountain...& I'm sure this was just one of many.

I love you so,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...