Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mommy speaks in the third person

Dear Em,
There are things about you that change once you become a mom. There are changes I kind of knew about before getting pregnant with you, but I didn't fully understand the extent of the changes until there was you.

My body just isn't & never will be exactly the same. Multiple stitches pretty much sealed the deal on that one. I don't feel like my brain has functioned fully since the day I got pregnant. I just can't remember things anymore. Seriously, if it doesn't get written down, it doesn't get remembered. If t wasn't for the IPhone Notes App, I would be drowning in a sea of post it notes. I feel like something happened during my pregnancy that severed the link that converts my short term memory into long term memory.

In the past couple months, I had a new realization. When I am with you, I speak in the third person. It started off that way because I read somewhere that you should refer to yourself in the third person for the first months of a baby's life. This way the baby can learn who you are without getting confused about why you're sometimes "Mommy" but other times "I" or "me." I really think that the fact that "Mommy" was your first word illustrates how well I was able to speak in the third person. But now I can't stop.

You're two now. You clearly know who I am. Now, it's important for you to use words like "I" & "me" & learn how they are supposed to function in a sentence. I know that I shouldn't be talking to you in the third person anymore. It's just...I can't stop. I mean, I've been doing it for two years, two years. It's hard to break a two year habit. Believe me, I'm trying. If someone had told my pre-mommy self that speaking in the third person would someday be a habit I had to kick, I would have told them they were crazy. Seriously, I can't stand when people speak in the third person. Sigh, but here I am.

Do you want to know the good news? There's no difference or change that I can't get over when you flash one of your smiles. You're worth it all & so much more.

I love you so,
Mommy

* Readers, what changes have you noticed about yourselves once you became parents? *

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...