Saturday, November 19, 2011

working mommy

Multitasking.

Dear Em,
Our weekends are typically spent with an abundance of family together time. We like to ride bikes, go to the park, make popcorn & watch movies, go for a walk in Narragansett, play hide & go seek, have pillow fights...in between everything else that is planned.

I try not to wish my time away. With you growing & changing so very fast, I wish we could hit a pause button almost everyday. That doesn't stop me from longing for the weekends, though. On Monday mornings, I dream of the weekends that we live in sweatpants with an open agenda for the day. I miss crock-pot-football Sundays. I look forward to every second of sleeping in & family snuggles while we watch Sesame Street...Sigh. Wouldn't it be so lovely if everyday was the weekend?

I think that, but I also know that part of the reason I cherish our weekends together is that I am a working Mommy. Monday-Friday you go to school, & Daddy & I go to work. While it's the toughest part of my morning to hug you goodbye for the day, my heart feels happy to know that you are going somewhere where you are loved & learning (& having a blast). I know your daddy & I are going somewhere where our thoughts are valued & we're making a difference for others.

So, even though it's not always easy, I'm thankful for my job...for my career. I didn't know if I would ever say that. The moment you were born, I would have traded all of my career aspirations to spend every second with you. Finances being what they were, I had to go back to work after my maternity leave. I never thought I would feel that way. I went right from high school to college to my masters program to work. Being a professional something was all I thought I wanted.

And then you were born...sigh. It's amazing how your perspective can change.

So, I went back to work. In a time where so many people across the world are struggling to find any kind of job, I'm fortunate to have a job that helps me to provide for my family. I'm thankful to have a job that challenges me but has some flexibility. I'm thankful to work within a company where there is a future for me, & there is a future for me doing something I am passionate about.

I'm thankful that you can see me leave each morning as a professional & come home each evening as your Mommy. I'm thankful that you will someday have the choice of being a professional or a Mommy or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While my letters are addressed to Em, we enjoy hearing from all our readers. Comments are always welcome. The ideas, inspiration, & support we get from other readers is one of the reasons I write. I try to respond to all comments. If you click the "subscribe by email" button underneath the comment box, you will get notifications when I have replied. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...